How Do I Charge My Car Battery While Still Connected
Assuming you would like tips on how to charge your car battery while it is still connected: It is always best to disconnect the battery from the vehicle before charging it however, there are times when this is not possible. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to charge your battery while it is still connected, here are some tips to help ensure a safe and effective process: 1. Make sure all accessories in the vehicle are turned off. This includes lights, radio, climate control, etc. Any electrical draw from these devices will make charging the battery more difficult. 2. Connect the positive charger lead to the positive terminal of the battery first, then connect the negative lead to the negative terminal of the battery.
3. Start the charger and set it to deliver a low amperage charge. A slow charge is safer for both you and your cars electrical system. Once the charger indicates that the batterys voltage has reached 14 volts or above, you can slowly increase the amperage until it reaches its maximum output rating.
4. Monitor The Battery Temperature During charging, batteries generate heat if they get too hot, damage may occur.
How Do You Charge Dodge Journey Battery
If your Dodge Journey wont start, the problem may be with the battery. Heres how to charge a Dodge Journey battery:
1. Connect one end of the positive jumper cable to the positive terminal on the dead battery.
2. Connect the other end of the positive jumper cable to the positive terminal on the good battery.
3. Connect one end of the negative jumper cable to the negative terminal on the good battery.
4. Finally, connect the other end of the negative jumper cable to a metal ground on your car .
If your Dodge Journey is anything like ours, then the battery is probably located under the hood. To charge it, simply connect the positive and negative terminals to a charger. We recommend using a trickle charger so you dont overcharge the battery. Once its connected, turn on the charger and let it do its thing. Check on it periodically to make sure everything is going according to plan. When the battery is fully charged, disconnect the charger and put everything back in place. Thats all there is to it!
Use A Standard Household Charger
The first way is to use a standard household charger. Youll want to make sure the charger is rated for 12 volts and has enough amperage to charge your battery. For instance, if your battery is 60 Ah, youll need a 6 amp charger. Once youve found an appropriate charger, connect the positive lead from the charger to the positive terminal on your battery, and then do the same with the negative lead and negative terminal. Finally, plug in the charger and let it do its job! Depending on how discharged your battery was, to begin with, this could take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours.
Read Also: Jeep Key Fob Battery Replacement
What Are The Symptoms Related To A Bad Battery
The battery is considered dead when there isn’t enough charge to start the engine or run electrical components.
Normally, the first sign is dim lighting in the interior of the vehicle, and when you try to start it, the engine may crank slowly, or not at all. A very rapid clicking noise is normally heard if there is any charge left in the battery, but in many cases the vehicle will be completely unresponsive.
If the battery is losing charge while driving the vehicle, the battery warning light will illuminate, and the engine may stall.
How Do I Replace The Battery In My Dodge
A confident do-it-your-selfer can replace a vehicle battery. Start by checking your vehicle owners manual for the batterys proper size and location. Find the positive and negative posts. The positive post will have a red plastic cover over it. Look for a + sign stamped onto the battery or printed on a nearby label. Loosen the negative terminal bolt and remove the cable. Be sure not to touch the positive post. Once you loosen the bolt, use a terminal puller to remove the cable. Repeat the sequence with the positive post.
Now remove the clamp or retaining system that keeps the battery in place. Carefully lift out the old battery. Look for any corrosion on the cables and remove it with a wire brush or terminal cleaning tool.
Drop in the new battery so that the positive post lines up with the red cable. Secure it with the battery retaining clamp that you removed earlier. If the battery has anti-corrosion washers, put them in place now and use a thin layer of anti-corrosion grease to prevent buildup. Tighten the positive cable and then do it all over again with the negative black cable.
Make sure the battery is secure and congratulations: youve replaced your cars battery!
Also Check: Apc Battery Backup Battery Replacement
Where Is The Battery Located In A 2012 Dodge Journey
As a responsible car owner of a 2012 Dodge Journey, you would want to keep your car in the best shape possible. One of the critical parts that need attention is the battery. The 2012 Dodge Journey comes equipped with a standard battery but do you know where the battery is located? Read on and find out the exact location of the 2012 Dodge Journey battery and more about the battery service for this vehicle.
Dorman 00076 Battery Tray Replacement For Select Dodge Models Black
- Free returns are available for the shipping address you chose. You can return the item for any reason in new and unused condition: no shipping charges
- Make sure this fitsby entering your model number.
- Direct replacement – this battery tray matches the fit and function of the original equipment part
- Durable construction – this battery tray is made from quality materials to prevent damage caused by an unsecured battery
- Cost-effective solution – offers original equipment quality at lower cost than dealer replacement
- Quality tested – this part has undergone vehicle fitment and dimensional testing
- Ensure fit – to make sure this part fits your exact vehicle, input your make, model and trim level into the garage tool
- This item: Dorman 00076 Battery Tray Replacement for Select Dodge Models, Black$85.86Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.Get it as soon as Friday, Jan 27
- Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.Get it as soon as Friday, Jan 27
- Sold by UPSM and ships from Amazon Fulfillment.Get it as soon as Friday, Jan 27
Also Check: Gaming Laptop With Good Battery Life
Where Is The Battery Located In My Dodge Journey
Asked by Mar 15, 2020 at 10:57 AM about the 2017 Dodge Journey
Question type: Maintenance & Repair
answered 2 years ago
Your trunk is one place to look…lol funny but I think that one has 2 and never jump start someone with it running you can fry the computer. Your battery could still be under the hood as well but in a box or on the drivers side
answered 2 years ago
It is buried at the lower portion of the front driver side bumper. To access, you have to jack up the vehicle, remove the front wheel and then the wheel well clips to access the battery for removal. Jump starting like Nadean mentioned could be done from posts in the engine bay.
answered 2 years ago
I have a 2016 Dodge Journey and need to get the battery checked since the icon lit up on my dashboard. Can the battery be checked under the hood or do they have to check it completely via the left bumper ?
answered 2 years ago
I love how people answer anyway when they have no idea. The battery is behind the left inner front wheel well liner. Turn the wheel to the right and you should be able to access it. You’ll need a 10mm wrench for the terminals and a 13mm wrench for the hold-downs.
answered 2 years ago
Nadean move away from the keyboard. Just throwing out random answers doesn’t help anyone at all. Of course you can jump someone with engine running. Use remote jumping posts a stated above.
Dodge Journey Negative Battery Terminal
If you own a Dodge Journey, you may have experienced an issue with the negative battery terminal. This problem can cause a number of issues, including difficulty starting your vehicle, electrical problems, and even engine stalling.The good news is that there is a relatively easy fix for this problem. All you need to do is clean the affected area and then apply some dielectric grease to the terminals. This will help to prevent corrosion and should keep your Journey running smoothly.
Also Check: Does Costco Sell Car Batteries
Where Is The Battery Located On A 2012 Dodge Journey
The Dodge Journey is a smallish 3-row crossover SUV, following the minivan tradition of providing a vehicle that offers plenty of space to haul the family and their stuff. There are a number of storage compartments inside, including one beneath the passenger seat.
It is equipped with a standard 2012 Dodge Journey battery location behind the front bumper rather than in the engine bay. It is positioned to the drivers side of the vehicle, behind the front bumper. A Group Size 26 battery with minimum cold-cranking amps of 525 is used in Dodge Journey automobiles.
The vehicle requires regular servicing to extend its life. Regular maintenance will detect any minor issues before they develop into large repairs. Inspecting the battery, then checking the head and tail lights, tires, fluid levels, alignment, and windshield wipers will be part of the service. These are all done to ensure that the vehicle will perform safely on the road.
What Is A Battery
The battery, in conjunction with the alternator, supplies the electrical power needed for the lights, stereo and all other electrical components of the car. The battery stores electrical power to start the engine, and helps electronic components function when the alternator cannot produce enough power.
Read Also: Back Bay Battery Simulation Solution
How To Change The Battery On A Dodge Journey
The battery on a Dodge Journey is mounted behind the front bumper on the drivers side. Here is how you can change the battery on a Dodge Journey.
The battery on a Dodge Journey is located behind the front bumper and not in the engine bay.
The battery on a Dodge Journey is located behind the front bumper, on the drivers side. You do not need to remove the bumper to change the battery on a Dodge Journey. Dodge Journey vehicles typically use a Group Size 26 battery with minimum cold-cranking amps of 525.
We hope you find the Dodge Journey Battery Replacement Guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Dodge Journey.
How To Replace A Car Battery
Replacing a dead battery as a DIY isnt too difficult. However, if youre unfamiliar with auto parts, getting a car battery replacement near you by a professional is the easier option.
That said, heres a general guideline for a car battery replacement:
Recommended Reading: 400 Watt Solar Panel Kit With Battery And Inverter
Types Of Batteries That Are Compatible With A Dodge Journey
The Dodge Journeys battery has very specific dimensions and features, given its unique position under the drivers front wheel.
You cant replace it with just any high-performance battery no, you need a proper battery specially designed for the make and model of the car. Only then can it achieve near-perfect levels of efficiency.
In general, a Dodge Journey will demand the following from its battery:
- Terminal positions: Batteries with a left-hand polarity
- Rim: No bottom rim is required, as the top of the battery will already be secured.
- Size battery: Battery dimensions belong to Group 86, measuring 9 1/16 x 6 13/16 x 8.
- Brand of the battery: Some of the best car batteries for a Dodge Journey are made by Odyssey, NAPA, and DieHard Batteries.
Dodge Journey Battery Cost
Price comparison website YourMechanic.com estimates that a Dodge Journey car battery replacement ranges between $210 to $350, depending on the size engine, model of battery, battery parts, and more. Newer models may require more powerful batteries and increase the service bill. You can also expect to pay $95 for labor.
As always, check your insurance coverage to see if a battery replacement is included to help mitigate any potential costs.
Also Check: How To Change Battery On Car Key
Dodge Journey Battery: The Best Option
If youre looking for a 2012 Dodge Journeybattery, the bad news is that OEM parts get harder to find the older a car gets. The good news is that most 2012 Dodge Journeys use basically the same battery, so theyre not incredibly rare.
Whats the best battery for a 2012 Dodge Journey?
A group size 86 525CCA AGM. For best results youll want an Original Equipment Manufacturer battery, but if youre buying aftermarket, just make sure it matches those specs. You can also use a flooded SLI battery if need be, as long as its group size 86 and 525CCA.
Youll want to check your owners manual and the battery itself to make sure. Across trim levels and options, you cant always bet on every unit having the exact same battery. But this covers the vast majority of 2012 Dodge Journeys. Heres what you need to know.
How Important Is This Service
Without a constant connection to the battery, your car will not crank. It wont stop the engine from running, but it will prevent it from cranking after being turned off. Have your battery and battery cables maintained at all times, and the terminal ends replaced if damage is noticed.
Fast and easy service at your home or office
Backed by 12-month, 12.000-mile guarantee
Also Check: Chamberlain Garage Door Opener Remote Battery
Dodge Journey Model Years
1. Getting Started – Prepare for the repair
2. Access Battery – Learn where the battery is located
3. Remove Bracket – Take off the bracket that secures the battery
4. Remove Cables – How to disconnect the cables the right way
5. Clean Cables – Clean with baking soda, water and a wire brush
6. New Battery – Install new battery and prevent corrosion
7. Secure Battery – Replace the bracket to secure the new battery
8. Replace Cover – Ensure the cover is put back properly
9. More Info. – Additional thoughts on replacing the battery
Where is the battery located in a Dodge Journey?
The video above shows you how to replace the battery in your 2009 Dodge Journey. We recommend changing the battery in Dodges every 4 years. Although some batteries last much longer, most batteries begin breaking down chemically after four years, so you could experience dimmer headlights and other negative effects before you have a dead battery in your Journey that you need to replace.
The battery location in a Dodge Journey can typically be found in the engine bay, but may be in the trunk, fender or inside of the vehicle. You may need to remove the air filter housing, a plastic engine cover or parts of the cowl to find the battery in your Journey. See exactly where the battery is located in your 2009 Dodge Journey.
- Advance Auto coupon for20% off entire order: KIOSK20
Symptoms You Need A Dodge Journey Battery Replacement
There are many reasons people want to inspect their car batteries. But chances are that youre reading through this article so that you can replace or recharge it.
Telltale signs of common car battery issues include:
- Let your engine run. If you hear a clicking sound, this suggests your need a full battery replacement.
- Loss of energy: If headlights, electronics, and accessories are slow to turn on or fail completely, this pin-points to a dying or dead battery.
- Check engine light: If the check engine battery light appears, this suggests the battery needs your attention immediately.
- Low Battery fluid level: Fluid leaks require you to run a diagnostic on your battery.
- Corrosion build-up: If you inspect your battery, battery tray, and battery cables and notice signs of damage, excessive corrosion, rust, or debris around the battery, it may be time to remove and thoroughly clean it.
Also Check: Who Makes Walmart Car Batteries
Answers To Your Journey Car Battery Questions
Turn to Firestone Complete Auto Care for answers to all your car battery questions. If you have battery questions that are Dodge Journey-specific, visit your nearest store. Our technicians are happy to help.
- Why won’t my Journey battery stay charged? A battery is in its final hour when it will no longer hold a charge. It may be getting old. Or, you may have a habit of leaving your car doors open and the dome lights on during the night. Stop by for a complimentary battery check at your nearest Firestone Complete Auto Care and learn more about your battery’s charge.
- What happens to my old Journey battery? We recycle it! Nearly 100% of all lead-acid batteries are recyclable.
- How much will replacing my Dodge Journeyâs battery cost if I get a DieHard battery? Get affordable prices on Dodge Journey batteries by using one of our limited-time battery deals. Plus, all DieHard car batteries come with a free replacement warranty and extra coverage with DieHard Assurance.