How Do You Change A Honda Key Battery
I have a 2018 Honda Civic Sport and the instrument cluster says that my key fob battery is low. How can I change the battery for a Honda key fob?
To change a Honda key battery
- On the back of the key fob, look for a small tab.
- Push or pull the tab to slide the key out.
- Use the key to pry the fob apart.
- Pop out the battery with a pen by gently pushing it between the clips and the battery.
- Replace the battery with a fresh CR2032 battery, which will cost about $2.
- Reverse the process to put the fob back together. Then, test it out to ensure itâs in working order.
save an average of nearly $900
Can You Drive With A Dead Key Fob
No auto manufacturer is going to pin everything on the key fob working all the time. Therefore, even if your battery dies, you can still use the fob to drive the car.
- Despite most cars going keyless, several of them still have a key slot usually located on the steering column. It will typically be covered by a plastic cover which you can pop off. Once you insert the physical key into it, you can easily turn on the car and drive away.
- Some cars begin ignition with the START button, which switches on the car only if the key is detected. With a dead battery, the car may not recognize the key fob and hence the START button may be unresponsive. In such cases, you can use the fob itself to push the START button, which will switch on the car.
- Some vehicles like Fords have a slot on the steering column where you can insert the fob, which will start the vehicle.
Dont Miss: Ac Delco Battery Date Code
What Is A Key Fob
A key fob sometimes called a remote keyless system is a handheld device that allows you to lock and unlock your vehicle remotely. It consists of a remote control and RFID antenna that is connected to your cars locking system. Some key fobs have a retractable physical key with which you can lock/unlock your car manually as well.
Don’t Miss: Best Laptops For Battery Life
Why Our Key Services
Your vehicle gets you reliably where you need to be, but without a working key fob, getting around is a lot more difficult. Some newer vehicles wont even start without one. Whether youve misplaced your keys, you need a new key cut, your existing fob is damaged, or you just want a spare, have your key fob repaired, re-powered or replaced at Batteries Plus Bulbs.Our experts will help you with a simple battery replacement or give you a whole new keyless entry replacement if yours stops working. Contact us online or come visit a store near you for fast service even without an appointment.
You May Like: Car Battery When To Replace
How To Change The Battery In Your Honda Key Fob
Your Honda key fob is invaluable it lets you open your doors, trunk, and hood at the press of a button. But when the battery dies, all that utility goes to the wayside. Thankfully, you can easily get it going again with a flathead screwdriver and the right battery.
Which battery does your Honda key fob use?
Honda key fobs use the CR2032 3-volt battery. You will only need one for each remote and they are easy to install.
Don’t Miss: 2016 Ford Fusion Battery Replacement
How Do You Change The Battery In A Honda Odyssey Key Fob
I recently bought a Honda Odyssey, and the key battery is already dying from the cold! I donât know how to replace it, but Id like to do it soon. Whatâs the best way to change the battery in my Honda Odyssey key fob?
CR2032 batteriesnotorious for dying in cold weatherchange the battery in your Honda Odyssey key fob
- Start by sliding the switch above the Honda logo so you can remove the metal key.
- Pull out the metal key and use it to gently pry apart the two halves of the key fob.
- Once the key fob is open, use a small flathead screwdriver to pry off the battery from the side opposite the fastening clips.
- Gently insert your new battery.
- Press together the two halves of the key fob until they snap into place.
- Reinsert your metal key into its slot.
make your battery last longer by storing your fob somewhere warmfor free
Also Check: How To Change Battery In Subaru Key Fob
Pop Off The Back Of The Case
Look where you just removed the key to find two black plastic tabs with a space in the middle. Put the tip of your flathead screwdriver between the tabs and slightly twist the handle to pop open the case.
Although you could use the key for this in a pinch, its better to use a screwdriver to avoid damaging the key. Youll need the screwdriver in the next step anyway.
Recommended Reading: Apc Back-ups Pro 1300 Battery Replacement Instructions
Gently Pry At The Seam Or Notch
When it comes to how to change the battery in your key fob, youll only need one tool. Using a small, thin flat-bladed screwdriver , pry apart the two halves gently to open the fob down the middle. Most cars with key fobs and transponder keys wont let you lock your keys inside the car, but you need to be prepared just in case the worst case happens. .
Recommended Reading: Ups Battery Backup Surge Protector
What Is The Honda Key Battery Type
The first thing youll need to doideally, before your Honda key fob battery runs outis get ahold of a replacement battery or batteries. Luckily, youll be able to find a Honda key battery in just about any hardware or electronics store around Midland and beyondmost Honda key fobs use a flat circular 3-volt battery.
Don’t Miss: Smoke Detector Beeping After Battery Change
Where To Get A New Honda Key Fob
If you replace the battery, but the remote doesnt start working, it may mean one of these things:
- You need to try another battery
- You need to get a new Honda key fob
- The battery MAY have been installed upside down
Trying to repair the key fob could be dangerous and ineffective. Honda remotes are delicate and intricate. They can easily be damaged if not handled properly.
If you need to get a new key fob, its important to search for a genuine parts provider like Honda Parts Connection. While it may be tempting to buy a cheap aftermarket fob, a low-quality key fob may leave you waiting for assistance in front of a closed vehicle, or worse, wreak havoc with the cars electronics. A used key fob may need reprogramming, which could cost you more than a new remote purchased from an official dealer.
Different Honda models require different key fob assemblies. The remote you need may depend on the age of your car as well. Consider opting for professional advice when replacing a key fob. Search for an authorized Honda key fob provider to make sure you are getting a high-quality remote. Before purchasing a new key fob, find out if its suitable for your Honda with the consideration of its model and build date.
Honda Parts Connection is an authorized Honda dealer. We provide Genuine Honda Parts online, including key fobs for all models. Our Honda professionals can help you select the right key fob assembly for your vehicle.
Close The Honda Key Fob
With the battery attached in place, all thats left is to put the two halves of the honda key fob together.
To do that, simply put the two halves of the key fob together and align them properly, then press gently until they click back together.
If there was a screw, make sure to attach it back, then give the new battery a test run by trying out the different buttons on the key fob.
Read Also: Places That Buy Car Batteries
Buy A Suitable Battery For The Key Fob
First, you need to buy proper batteries for your key fob. You can find the right type of battery by checking your cars manual or online.
In some cases, the type of the battery is written on the back of the key fob, so you should check there first. Ideally, most Honda key fobs will use a single 3 volt coin battery .
If you cant find enough information or you want to be sure about the right type, you can simply wait until you open up the fob and take the old battery with you while buying. Make sure that you buy multiple batteries, so you dont have to go back if the batteries are faulty.
What To Do If Fob Replacement Doesnt Help
If youve replaced the key fob but your Honda still doesnt open or start then the problem is with the car, not the fob. In such a case, you would need to call roadside assistance and take the vehicle to the nearest Honda service center. If you must get into the car immediately, check for a hidden key inside the fob. Most vehicles with a keyless entry system or a Smart fob have a mechanical key inside the remote.
You May Like: Noco Genius 10 Battery Charger
You May Like: Ritz Carlton New York Battery Park
Where Can I Find A Honda Key Fob Battery And How Much Is It
The CR2032 3-volt battery is a common and widely available size. Youll likely find it sitting in the battery section at your local hardware store or even the supermarket.
If you prefer to shop online, then you can order it from:
When buying batteries for multiple remotes, you can save money in the long run by buying a multi-pack for a bit more. Target has a two-pack for $5.49, while Walmart has them for $5.95. Lowes even has a six-pack of CR2032 batteries for $12.96.
Look For The Seam Where The Halves Of The Fob Come Together
Most key fobs open in a clamshell fashion, where two halves snap together. There will be a seam where you can split the two halvessometimes there will even be a notch at that seam. If your car still requires you to put the key in the ignition switch, make sure you dont hang anything from that keyring other than the fob the weight of your house keys can wear down the ignition cylinder, which is potentially hazardous.
Recommended Reading: Canon Lp-e6nh Lithium-ion Battery
Open The Honda Key Fob
You can open the key fob in various ways. For older models, you can open it by removing the screws using a jewelers screwdriver.
However, in newer models where the key is removable, you can pry it open by removing the key, and attach it in reverse, then turn. The key fob should open right away.
If neither methods are applicable, you can simply pry the key fob open by using a flat screwdriver and turn it gently until you hear a click.
How To Change Battery In Honda Key Fob Guide 2022
How To Change Battery In Honda Key Fob Guide 2022. If your key fob falls apart, dont panic! Flip the key fob over, then locate a tiny screw on the surface edge.
Enter the vehicle, make sure all the doors are shut, and have your key and the fobs to be programmed ready. · use the key or a small flathead screwdriver. Once the screw is out, along the side edge, locate a gap, and use it to pop off the.
Four button replacement key fob shell for honda vehicles. Press and hold the lock button for one second.
Press your thumb down right above. Pry the key fob open into two halves using a finger or screwdriver at the seams.
The following steps show how to program a honda key: Honda key battery replacement · press and slide the button that releases the metal key, and then slide the key out.
Sit inside the car, close the doors, but do not lock them. Four button key fob shell replacement for your honda vehicles with lock,.
In the key fobs, replace the batteries. Turn the ignition to the on position, but do not start the engine.
The key fob will be made. Hold the lock button on the key fob for one.
Turn the ignition to the on position, but do not start the engine. Slide the button to release the physical key.
You May Like: Battery Back Ups For Computers
Can You Unlock Your Car With A Dead Key Fob
Yes! Having a dead battery in your car key fob does not mean that you are left stranded. Car manufacturers have foreseen this situation and built in fail-safes to ensure you can unlock your car even in such a situation.
Heres what you should do:
- All car manufacturers include a mechanical key in the cars key fob. This can be accessed by sliding/pressing a small button usually located on the side of the key fob, which will remove the fob cover.
- Once you get the mechanical key out of the fob, insert it into the key slot and turn it to unlock/lock your car.
Mechanical keys are usually included in the key fobs of all major car manufacturers like Honda, Kia, Toyota, Mercedes, Ford, etc.
Battery Place Near Me
With over 700 stores throughout the United States and Puerto Rico, theres sure to be a Batteries Plus Bulbs nearby. Stop in today for the best selection of energy and lighting products. Be sure to ask about how to save your business time and money by opening up a commercial account. Our experts are always on hand to answer your questions and help you find exactly what you need.
*Smart home & key services vary by location check your nearest store for eligibility.
Recommended Reading: Who Makes Die Hard Batteries
How Do You Know That The Honda Key Fob Battery Is Failing
Many car owners ignore the obvious signs of a dying battery. They either dont pay enough attention to the way the remote works or simply hope for the best.
The important signs your Honda fob battery replacement is unavoidable in the nearest future are:
- Poor signal strength the majority of Honda fob keys can open a vehicle from about 50 feet. Many car owners take advantage of the function to check if they closed the vehicle when leaving the parking lot. As the battery power starts dwindling, you need to come closer and closer to the car to close or open it.
- Low battery warning light some Honda models will tell you that the key fob battery is about to expire by flashing a warning sign on the dashboard.
- Multiple clicking your Honda key fob must open the door with just one click. If you have to click more than twice, the battery must be expiring. From there on, you are in the danger zone. Next time, the car may not open
Also Check: Geico Roadside Assistance Dead Battery
How To Program The Honda Key
If you need to know how to program a Honda key, its easy! There are a few straightforward steps to follow and youll be all set. Heres what to do:
Read Also: Best Battery Sump Pump Backup
How To Open The Honda Key Fob
The next step of the battery replacement process is to open up the Honda key fob. This is an easy process, but you want to stick to the steps below so you dont accidentally damage the fob. Heres what to do:
- Locate the button to release the metal key inside the fob. Slide that button open and pull the metal key out.
- Carefully place the edge of the key into the slot at the top of the key fob. Wedge the key and lightly twist. The back of the key fob should pop off and reveal the battery.
Do I Need To Reprogram The Key Fob After Changing The Battery
Typically, you do not need to reprogram the key fob after changing the battery. However, if youve replaced not just the batteries but also some of the internal wiring and electronics, you may need to reprogram it by pairing it with your vehicle once again.
The usual sequence for reprogramming your car battery is as follows:
- Put the key into the ignition
- Turn the key into the ON position and then turn it back to the LOCK position.
- Do this several times until you hear a chiming sound
- Press the lock and unlock position on your key fob to reprogram it. This should ensure the correct functions are saved and that the vehicle will respond the next time you use it.
Recommended Reading: Where Is Chevy Cobalt Battery