How To Replace Battery In Subaru Key Fob
CR2032 3V and CR2025 3V batteries are common replacements for Subaru key fob batteries.
Similarly, What kind of battery goes in a Subaru key fob?
CR2032 3V and CR2025 3V batteries are common replacements for Subaru key fob batteries.
Also, it is asked, What battery does a 2018 Subaru Outback key fob take?
How to change the battery in the Subaru OutbackSilver Sideskey fob For a step-by-step guide on how to replace the battery in your key fob, see the video below. You will need 1 CR2032 battery.
Secondly, Can I replace the battery in my key fob?
Yes, you can change the batteries in your key fob, and its a lot simpler than you would think. A little flat-tipped screwdriver and a fresh battery are all youll need.
Also, How do you change the battery in a 2015 Subaru Outback key?
Capitol Subaru is here to assist you How to Change the Battery in a Subaru Key Fob Invest on a fresh 2032 battery. Use a metal key or a flathead screwdriver to open the key fob. Inside the fob, look for the flat circular battery. Remove the tiny tabs that hold the battery in place. Assemble the key fob again.
People also ask, How do you start a Subaru with a dead battery?
If the battery on the fob is dead and you can start it, hold the fob to the start button and push the button. If its the automobile, open the hood and jump it like any other vehicle
Related Questions and Answers
Pros Of Having A Subaru Key Fob
We only realize the worth of something when we lose it or it fails to function, and your vehicle key fob is no exception. This handy device saves us time and adds to our everyday convenience.
But as with other gadgets, it may run into problems. However, you can fix the issue by replacing the battery, purchasing a new fob, or contacting a locksmith for repairs.
Lets see what a key fob deprives you of when it ceases to function optimally.
- Security. It helps you keep your car secure by locking all the doors accessibly. You do not need to reach closer to your vehicle for the purpose. Instead, you can operate it remotely as long as youre in range. Plus, a few models feature a code architecture as an additional security measure you can share it with your family or friends.
- Operating sound. If you parked your car in a crowded parking lot, it isnt uncommon for you to forget the precise location. Luckily, as you tap the key fob, your vehicle will produce a beeping sound thatll help you spot it even in a crowded place.
- Control vehicle on the go. You do not necessarily need to reach your vehicle to control it. Instead, you can use the Subaru key fob to control your car from your bag, purse, or pocket.
- Smart start system. A few models feature a start system that allows you to sit inside your car and start the ignition as quickly as opening the car doors and windows.
Reach Out To The Dealer
If its been 5 years since you bought your car, we recommend reaching out to the dealer for a key fob battery replacement. Why? Because an aftermarket fob might not function with your vehicle.
Yes, you can program a few fobs, but they follow up with risks.
Generally, removing the mechanical key and programming the fob will take around an hour.
If you can afford to pay for an aftermarket fob, a dealer can adjust it for you. But, it is pretty risky and not advised by pros.
Don’t Miss: Mercedes Benz Battery Key Replacement
How Do I Know What Battery My Key Fob Needs
One convenient thing about button cell batteries is that they have an identification number printed right on the top. This number, which is usually three to four digits long, will identify the type of battery youre looking for. The button cell most commonly used in key fobs is the . Other commonly used button cells include: , , and .
If for some reason you cant find the number on your old battery, you can usually find what type of battery your fob needs in your vehicle owners manual. Or, you can stop by your nearest Batteries Plus and one of our experts will help you find the correct battery for your needs.
How Often Do I Need To Change The Battery In My Subaru Key Fob
Many newer models of Subaru vehicles come with a key fob, which can be used to remotely lock and unlock the doors, as well as to activate the panic alarm. The key fob relies on a battery to function, and over time, the battery will begin to lose power and will eventually need to be replaced.
Most manufacturers recommend that the battery in a key fob be replaced every two or three years, but there are a few things that you can do to help extend the life of the battery. Avoid storing the key fob in hot or cold temperatures, as extreme temperatures can damage the battery. In addition, try to avoid dropping the key fob, as this can also cause damage.
If you take good care of your key fob, you should be able to get several years of use out of it before you need to replace the battery.
You May Like: Multimeter To Test Car Battery
How Much Does It Cost To Replace A Key Fob
Theres no simple answer, but few modern key fobs are inexpensive. Even basic remotes may require special programming with computer software only accessible by a dealership.
Though the repair wont take more than a few minutes to replace, this can get expensive.
Kelley Blue Book contacted dealerships across the country for replacement costs of key fobs for some popular and high-end models. Quotes we got for replacing key fobs for a 2020 Subaru Forester with a push-button start ranged from about $200 to $400. A 2020 Toyota Sienna fob was about the same. However, dealers quoted as little as $150 to replace a 2017 Honda Accord key fob.
Several BMW dealers said that the more advanced security features embedded in the fob for a 2020 X5 justify the roughly $500 they charge to replace and program one. If you think thats a lot, consider that the crystal fob Aston Martin included with some of its models might cost $2,000 to replace and reprogram.
Do I Need To Reprogram The Key Fob After Changing The Battery
Typically, you do not need to reprogram the key fob after changing the battery. However, if youve replaced not just the batteries but also some of the internal wiring and electronics, you may need to reprogram it by pairing it with your vehicle once again.
The usual sequence for reprogramming your car battery is as follows:
- Put the key into the ignition
- Turn the key into the ON position and then turn it back to the LOCK position.
- Do this several times until you hear a chiming sound
- Press the lock and unlock position on your key fob to reprogram it. This should ensure the correct functions are saved and that the vehicle will respond the next time you use it.
Read Also: How To Use Noco Genius 1 Battery Charger
How To Enable Subaru Key Fob Tricks
what type of key fob you havetear-shaped key fob, program it yourselfrectangular key fobcertified dealershipprogram your Subaru key fob
- Look for the transmitter circuit board inside your key fob . There should be one or two sets of numbers on the board.
- Write this number down and keep it close.
- Make sure you close the fob case before proceeding.
- Have a seat in your Subaru, close the door, and make sure the engine is turned off.
move fast to get the timing right
- Open the driverâs door, then use the door button control to unlock each door. Next, close the driverâs door.
- Put the key in the ignition. Turn it to the first position, initiating the electrical systems while the engine is still off. Now, turn it back off. Do this ten times in a row as quickly as possible.
- After the tenth time, you should hear a chime from the instrument panel.
- Next, you need to open and close the driverâs door again. Listen for a confirmation chime and watch to see if your dome light flashes.
- You only have 45 seconds to enter the 8-digit transmitter number into the engine computer as the chime goes off.
- Use the first digit of your transmitter number and press the driverâs side lock/unlock button according to that number. Repeat this process for each digit until you have done the entire number.
- For example, in the number â87654321â, press the button eight times for the first digit, seven for the second digit, and so forth.
Check Your Cars Insurance Or Warranty
Before you purchase a new key fob, knowing if your damaged or lost key is covered under any car-related policies is essential. This cost-saving measure will cut down on or eliminate out-of-pocket expenses.
If your insurance or warranty covers the lost keys, youll keep yourself from replacement hassles.
You May Like: Model 3 Battery Replacement Cost
Can You Replace A Key Fob Battery Yourself
You can replace the battery in your key fob by following these steps:
Return The Control Module
After the successful insertion of the new battery, carefully return the control module into the housing.
You should make sure that you return the module to the right housing so that closing the housing will be as easy as ABC.
That is why you are advised to mark the housing with the module after the latters removal in step 3.
Recommended Reading: Replace Battery In Honeywell Thermostat
Can You Unlock Your Car With A Dead Key Fob
Yes! Having a dead battery in your car key fob does not mean that you are left stranded. Car manufacturers have foreseen this situation and built in fail-safes to ensure you can unlock your car even in such a situation.
Heres what you should do:
- All car manufacturers include a mechanical key in the cars key fob. This can be accessed by sliding/pressing a small button usually located on the side of the key fob, which will remove the fob cover.
- Once you get the mechanical key out of the fob, insert it into the key slot and turn it to unlock/lock your car.
Mechanical keys are usually included in the key fobs of all major car manufacturers like Honda, Kia, Toyota, Mercedes, Ford, etc.
Detach The Mechanical Key
To begin with, youd need to detach the mechanical key.
Youll find a button mounted on the fobs back if you look closely.
Press this button to remove the mechanical key. If you cannot accessibly reach the tiny groove of the button, you can press it down with a screwdriver.
As the button presses down, use the other hand to detach the mechanical key.
Read Also: Best Battery Self Propelled Lawn Mower
What Is A Key Fob
A key fob sometimes called a remote keyless system is a handheld device that allows you to lock and unlock your vehicle remotely. It consists of a remote control and RFID antenna that is connected to your cars locking system. Some key fobs have a retractable physical key with which you can lock/unlock your car manually as well.
How To Change Battery In Subaru Key Fob
Just as you need a remote to switch on your multimedia, a key fob is a must for the efficient operation of your vehicle. The Subaru key fob provides a wealth of advantages to a car owner, from lowering your windows to auto start.
But drivers only acknowledge its worth when it stops working. Well, you dont need to wait until the battery dies completely. Instead, be observant to spot the tell-tale signs and take action on time.
Removing the control module and old battery and adding a new one is all it takes to change the Subaru key fob battery.
But it doesnt have to be an uphill battle, does it? Keep reading for an effortless battery replacement!
Read Also: Smoke Detector 10 Year Battery
Troubleshoots In Changing Battery In A Subaru Key Fob
The process of troubleshooting when changing the battery in a Subaru key fob may slightly vary depending on the model and year of your vehicle. In general, though, you can follow these steps to change the battery in your Subaru key fob. Begin by finding the release button or tab on your key fob. This is typically located near the key ring.
Once you have found the release button, press it to open your key fob. Next, locate the battery inside your key fob. There are usually two batteries in a Subaru key fob, so make sure you replace both batteries at the same time.
Once you have located the batteries, use a small screwdriver or coin to pry them out of their compartment. Then, insert new batteries into the compartment, making sure they are facing the correct way. Finally, close your key fob and test it to make sure it is working properly. If your key fob still isnt working after changing the batteries, contact a professional for further assistance.
Subaru Key Fob Basics: Remote Start Unlock And Lock
- To start your car remotely, press the start button two times within three seconds.
- To unlock your car, press the unlock button once. To get the horn and light confirmation, hit the button twice.
- To lock your Subaru, simply hit the lock button once. Double click if you want horn and light feedback.
You May Like: Gaming Laptop With Good Battery Life
Additional Auto Key Services At Batteries Plus
Batteries Plus sells and a whole lot more. If you need a new car remote, take advantage of our service. Our customers end up saving up to 50% off what dealerships charge for the same service, plus youll have your new fob in about an hour instead of having to wait weeks. Many of our stores offer key cutting as well, so stop in if you need a spare set of keys for your car or truck. Please note that key services arent available at all locations, so check with your for more information.
Shop For New And Used Subaru Vehicles At Competition Subaru Of Smithtown
If you are looking to purchase a new Subaru vehicle or a pre-owned Subaru model, come to Competition Subaru of Smithtown for all your needs. We stock a wide range of models to suit different preferences, budgets, and lifestyle needs. Our sales department is open seven days a week while our service department is open Monday to Saturday. Our business is deeply rooted in the Long Island community, and we have made contributions to many organizations, including the Smithtown Childrens Foundation, Stony Brook Childrens Hospital, and more. Our sales department can be contacted at 888-604-0343.
Don’t Miss: Solar Panel Charger For Battery
Can I Replace The Battery In My Key Fob
Yes, you can. DIY is quick, simple, and cheap. To do this, pry apart the key fob and replace the coin battery inside with a new one. If you are not mechanically inclined you can always call Keyway Locksmith.
When changing the battery use caution. The plastic tabs that hold the fob together could break easily. Be careful not to break them in the process.
When replacing the battery, notice the way it’s installed. It’s important to install the new battery the same way, or it won’t work.
If you changed the battery and it still doesn’t work, then the key needs further examination by a professional.
Remove The Mechanical Key
The first thing you need to do is to remove the mechanical key. There is a button at the back of the fob, press the button with your thumb to take off the mechanical key.
If your thumb is too big and cannot enter the small groove accommodating the button, you can use a screwdriver to press the button.
While pressing the button with one hand, use the other hand to remove the mechanical key.
You May Like: Iphone 8 Battery Replacement Cost
How Do Locksmiths Program Key Fobs
What Methods Do Locksmiths Use to Program Car Keys? Locksmiths interface with your vehicles computer through the OBD port, which is normally situated beneath the steering column, to program car keys and FOBs. The cost of programming a car key ranges from $25 to $100, depending on who provides the code, the vehicle, and the locksmith.