Is It Possible To Make The Toyota Prius Battery Last Longer
If you own a car, the chances are high that saving money is appealing to you. The longer you can make a Toyota Prius battery last, the more funds you can keep in your bank account. Are there any ways to make your Toyota Prius battery last longer? How do you extend the lifespan of this component?
There are several ways to help improve the lifespan of a Toyota Prius battery. According to BumblebeeBatteries.com, here are some of the best techniques you can use:
- Ensure you keep the cooling system in check at all times
- Get the battery regularly checked out
- Fix the cabin filter if you feel its not working properly
Trying at least one of these will be beneficial for your Toyota Prius.
Its tricky to be perfect when caring for your Toyota Prius, especially if youre constantly busy. Still, trying at least one of these techniques can increase the lifespan of your cars battery. The most critical thing you can do is keep air circulating through the battery when its running.
THE BEST USED MINIVANS ON THE MARKET
When it comes to hauling a lot of people and cargo, the minivan is hard to beat. Weve factored in reliability, affordability, and functionality to create this curated list of the 8 best used minivans on the market today.
The Average Cost To Replace A Prius Battery At A Mechanic Is $1023 To $1235 With A Parts Cost Of $840 To $1005
This price range is based on national averages for all Prius models and does not factor in taxes, fees, or your particular make and model. Related repairs or maintenance may also be needed such as hybrid auxiliary battery repair, hybrid cooling system servicing, and repairs for electronic systems that read the batterys charge like the infotainment system. For a more accurate estimate based on your make, model, and location, use the RepairPal Fair Price Estimator.
Where Is The Battery In A Prius
The Toyota Prius models batteries are typically placed under the passenger seats. Standard cars, typically have them in the engine compartment or underneath the hood. In a Prius, the battery is located in the right back portion of the trunk. To be more precise, beneath the plastic molding of the vehicles passenger compartment.
Also Check: Who Sells Duracell Car Batteries
Can A Prius Battery Die
It can! Like all batteries, a Prius hybrid battery has an entropy date. Its battery is mined, refined, built, slotted into a car, used, and one day, just like everyones love life, it dies. This may take a decade or two and hundreds of thousands of miles, but at some point or another, your Prius battery will go bad and youll need to replace it.
Toyota Prius Battery Pack Problems
There are over 1.3 million Toyota hybrids on U.S. roadways, indicating that the number of failing battery pack incidents will rise dramatically during the coming years. But what are the warning signs that drivers should keep an eye out for that show their battery is dying?
Here are some symptoms of a failing Toyota hybrid battery to keep an eye out for:
- : Although there are other issues that can disrupt the efficiency of your fuel efficiency, it is most likely going to be a problem with your battery. If you begin to notice a steady decrease in your miles per gallon for no reason, its in your best interest to contact an experienced Toyota hybrid mechanic right away to schedule a health check.
- Your internal combustion engine is running more than it usually does: If your Toyota Prius sedans internal combustion engine begins kicking in more often than it typically does, this is another big symptom of a bad hybrid battery. If it runs at odd times or for longer than expected, you could have a failing battery.
- State of charge: If you look at the screen and notice huge fluctuations in your state of charge , its a definite sign that either your battery or the cars charging system is having problems. Moreover, large swings in your charge rate point to a bad battery.
If you notice any of the above signs or symptoms, you should take your car into a hybrid mechanic right away for a proper diagnosis and repair.
Don’t Miss: How Many Volts For Car Battery
Replacing Prius 12v Battery: Step By Step
When it comes to a battery replacement, the first thing you need to do is to find a mounting location of the 12v battery.
In Toyota Prius 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation, it is placed in the passenger side hatch, below the cargo floor. In the 4th generation, it is located in the engine bay .
If you find your battery dead, you can easily change it by yourself. You will need some basic tools:
- Ratchet wrench 10 and 12mm
- A ratchet extension, about 12mm
- 12mm socket, shallow or deep
- 10mm combination wrench
- An old glove or rag
The first thing you need to do is to open the hatchback. Just keep in mind that you will lose some information like the radio presets and power window limits if you do not maintain power. It is not s major problem, but you will need another power source if you want to avoid that.
Then you need to remove the floor mat, carpet, and the cover over the hidden plastic storage space. When you remove the plastic tire tool tray, the spare tire will remain exposed. The battery is hidden under the plastic molding on the right corner of the trunk, which then needs to be unsnapped and removed.
The air duct for the primary driving battery goes directly over the auxiliary battery, so it must be removed. There are two 10 mm bolts one inside by the body and another down on the floor pan. Put aside the vent pipe.
It would be much easier if you move the power brake unit you need to remove three 12mm bolts, unplug it and move it out of your way.
Hybrid Battery Replacement For A Honda Civic
Cost of hybrid battery replacement for a Honda Civic can be expensive. You can pay up to $2,000 for a replacement hybrid battery pack.
As the vehicle gets older and puts on the miles you may have to endure the cost of a Honda Civic hybrid battery. Because the Honda Civic Hybrid has been in production for a while, you may need a hybrid battery for the 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid, or even the 2010 Honda Civic Hybrid.
Read Also: Nissan Leaf Battery Replacement Cost
Whats Involved In Maintaining Or Replacing A Battery
Batteries are not one size fits all. There are several things to consider:
- Size:Typically based on your vehicles make, model and engine type, it is literally the footprint of the battery, along with placement of the battery terminals. Every battery has a slightly different terminal placement. Take care to make sure the new battery you are putting into your car, truck or SUV is the same size as the one you are replacing. Its got to be apples to apples. In other words, dont try to fit a pineapple into the space reserved for a canteloupe.
- Age:Like a loaf of fresh-baked bread, batteries are best when fresh, within six months of manufacture. Most batteries, like the one in your current vehicle, will have a date code to tell you this information. When in doubt, call the battery maker to decipher the date code.
- Cold Cranking Amps: Can this battery start your frozen SUV at 0 degrees Fahrenheit in the dead of winter when the oil is as thick as molasses? The higher the Cold Cranking Amps rating, the better the batterys starting power. The rating refers to the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at 0 degrees F for 30 seconds, while maintaining at least 7.2 volts.
- Reserve Capacity: In the case of an alternator failure, the Reserve Capacitywill give you an estimate of how long your cars battery will be able to run on battery power alone, without the help of the alternator.
Try To Upgrade To A Newer Battery Model
If you have an older version of the Toyota Prius, then high chance your battery is also older. Therefore, experts advise you to consider upgrading to a newer battery type.
Modern batteries have better features that allow them to run longer with lesser issues or even none. So, despite the pricier cost of a new battery model, youâd appreciate them more when it comes to longevity and efficiency.
However, you still need to evaluate if your car is suited for the latest battery type as there are other cars, especially very old ones, that may have compatibility issues. In this case, it might be better if you consult a mechanic first for recommendations.
You May Like: Change Battery Nissan Key Fob
How Does A Prius Battery Work
Inside a Toyota Prius battery are 168 1.2-Volt nickel-metal-hydride cells, which contain about 1.6 kilowatt-hours of energy. Also, its peak power output is about 27 kilowatts.
The Toyota Prius is among the most popular hybrid cars in the world. It was launched in August 1997 in Japan and has sold about 12 million units worldwide.
This car was designed to help reduce the number of harmful car emissions in urban cities.
As of 2004, the Toyota Prius was the North American Car of the Year.
Please Select The Relevant Vehicle Below
Look no further than Batteries Plus for your Toyota Prius replacement starting battery. Whether you have a 2004 Prius or a brand new model, we have the battery for you. Not sure if it’s time to replace the battery in your Prius? Read our handy article “” to learn more about how to make your battery last. If you are still questioning it, stop into your and have us test your battery for you, free of charge.
We carry everything you need for your Toyota Prius here at Batteries Plus. Batteries, interior and exterior lights and are all available at your local store and online. Visit our to learn more!
Our huge selection of Toyota Prius batteries includes products from our exclusive premium brand, X2Power as well as top-rated brands such as Duracell Ultra and Optima. Plus, all of our Prius vehicle batteries come with free replacement warranties that are valid at any one of the 700+ locations around the country.
Don’t Miss: Canon Lp-e6nh Lithium-ion Battery
How Are Hybrid High Voltage Battery Issues Diagnosed
Each manufacturer has methodology and equipment to test their hybrid batteries. The results of these tests will determine the serviceability of the batteries. In some cases, individual cells have been replaced to correct a faulty battery, but this is not common professional practice, so the individual cells are not likely to be tested.
When Your Car Reaches A Complete Halt
When youre just starting your car, it gets powered by the electric motor while drawing the power from the Prius battery.
At about 15 MPH, the Toyota Prius will only make use of its electrical motor for power. Its no surprise why hybrid cars like the Toyota Prius are more fuel-efficient for city driving than on the highway.
When you finally pull your car to a stop, the electric motor and gas engine gets turned off. To run every other thing like the headlights, radio, air conditioning and so on, the car makes use of the Prius batterys power.
Read Also: Electric Car Battery Cost Replacement
Cost At The Mechanic: $1023
The hybrid battery on a Toyota Prius generates electric power to propel the car, versus the the 12-volt battery that provides power for the cars electronics such as the starter, radio, and lighting. The hybrid battery generates high voltage, so to prevent risk of damaging this battery or the potential for electrical shock, it may be wise to let a Toyota-certified mechanic replace your Prius battery. Plus, the entire cost may be waived if your model is still under appropriate Toyota warranty coverage, which can be up to 10 years or 150,000 miles depending on the year.
Chances are that your Toyota hybrids battery pack will need replacing while its still under the original manufacturer warranty. If its not under warranty, you might also look for reconditioned battery packs and have an independent mechanic install one. The lower price of the reconditioned battery could save you hundreds of dollars, but just be sure that the product is high quality and that the battery and installation work have warranties.
Can You Drive With Battery Issues
If you have battery issues with the Toyota Prius, its more capable of going on without this additional form of power. You are still able to drive the car with a dead battery. However, the fuel economy will worsen, and you may experience a rough ride as you transition from point a to point b.
If you experience a battery failure with the Toyota Prius, its critical to get it checked out as soon as possible. Although you can drive, its best to get the component fixed whenever you get the chance. This action can help you avoid critical errors down the line.
Recommended Reading: Change Battery In Honda Key Fob
When Replacing The Battery Keep In Mind:
- The quality of the electrical connections to the battery posts is important. Connections must be clean, free of corrosion and properly tightened.
- Batteries store a large amount of energy and if short-circuited a battery could explode and can create intense discharges that can damage your eyesight. Insulated tools should be used to attach cabling to battery terminals. Otherwise, the batterys positive cable can be shorted to ground or the positive and negative posts can be directly shorted. Batteries can only be safely installed from a positive terminal to positive wiring and from a negative terminal to body ground. If the polarity is reversed damage will likely occur to the vehicles electrical system.
- Generally, a car battery will have a service life of 4 to 7 years. If a load test on a battery reveals a significant reduction in the capacity of the battery to provide power, you should buy a new battery rather than wait for the old battery to fail completely.
- Batteries should only be disconnected if the engine is off and the alternator is not running. Disconnecting a car battery while the alternator is running can cause a voltage spike that will damage sensitive electronic components in the vehicle, such as the PCM.
Fast and easy service at your home or office
Backed by 12-month, 12.000-mile guarantee
How Do I Replace The Battery In My Toyota
A confident do-it-your-selfer can replace a vehicle battery. Start by checking your vehicle owners manual for the batterys proper size and location. Find the positive and negative posts. The positive post will have a red plastic cover over it. Look for a + sign stamped onto the battery or printed on a nearby label. Loosen the negative terminal bolt and remove the cable. Be sure not to touch the positive post. Once you loosen the bolt, use a terminal puller to remove the cable. Repeat the sequence with the positive post.
Now remove the clamp or retaining system that keeps the battery in place. Carefully lift out the old battery. Look for any corrosion on the cables and remove it with a wire brush or terminal cleaning tool.
Drop in the new battery so that the positive post lines up with the red cable. Secure it with the battery retaining clamp that you removed earlier. If the battery has anti-corrosion washers, put them in place now and use a thin layer of anti-corrosion grease to prevent buildup. Tighten the positive cable and then do it all over again with the negative black cable.
Make sure the battery is secure and congratulations: youve replaced your cars battery!
Also Check: Energizer Ultimate Lithium Aa Batteries L91
Dont Test Right After Charging
More often than not, youll need to charge the battery before you can test it, but if you test it right after charging, a bad battery may seem like its OK. Also, the battery produces hydrogen gas while charging and a bad load tester clamp connection can cause a spark and explosion. Either let the battery rest for a few hours or test it 3 times, waiting around 5 minutes between each test. The first two tests will burn off any surface charge.
How Is My Prius Battery Different From A Normal Car Battery
Just like weve earlier explained your Prius battery is different from other car batteries. Your Toyota Prius isnt just equipped with only a gas engine, as a hybrid car its got an electric motor too.
With these features, your car will be able to travel about 25 miles by getting its power from the electric motor.
All these will need a battery thats not just regular but more powerful. A battery that is powerful enough to provide the energy amounts needed for all the activities your hybrid car needs. Thanks to the Prius battery, this is possible.
The Prius battery has been designed to recharge as fast as possible and also to discharge fully without having any parts of it damaged. Now, thats how your Prius battery is different from a normal car battery.
With all these breakdowns, you can see how a Toyota Prius can reach about 48 MPG while on the highway and 51 MPG while on a normal city drive.
You May Like: 2012 Gmc Acadia Battery Location
How Are Hybrid High Voltage Batteries Replaced
Replacing the hybrid drive high voltage battery will be done by disconnecting the 12-volt and high voltage battery in the manufacturer specified manner and order. Once disconnected, protective covers may be used for the battery terminals. The battery access panels, if not already removed, will be removed to access the battery before lifting it out of the vehicle. Since the battery for a hybrid drive system is both bulk and heavy, it is important that the battery be lifted properly, and, in some cases, a hoist be used. Reinstallation requires the reverse of operations, but some software updates and operations may be required.